Can a company legally charge the full amount for a service if the customer decides not to use it? | Lawhive - Solicitors & Lawyers Online
Can a company legally charge the full amount for a service if the customer decides not to use it?
I wanted to go ahead with a service from a company that facilitates people studying abroad. There is a fee that they split up. One half you pay initially and the second half of their fees you pay once accepted by a school. I decided to go with a 2023 admission and paid the first half of the initial fee. So have basically paid a quarter of their total fees (this was in 2021). But then a few months later my financial situation changed along with my home situation and I decided not to go. However that company has emailed me asking for the second half of the initial fees. And apparently it was in the contract I signed that I need to pay the initial fees regardless of what they do for me. I asked them for some time to think and speak to a solicitor to get a second opinion. I don't even want the money back that I already paid. I just don't want to give any more money because they haven't provided the service I initially wanted. However they just cc'd me into an email they have sent to a lawyer asking them to help retrieve the money. Is there anything I can do? I've just started my first job and getting married in 3 weeks. Skint is an understatement. Any advice/help is welcomed. Thank you in advance.

Shirley Yates

20th October 2021


Top Answer
What does the contract you signed say about fees?

William Cephas

11th February 2022


For them to retrieve the money they would need to take you to court, make the argument that you need to pay even though you didn’t get the service, get a CCJ and the enforce it. Though I can’t advise you not to pay, there is every chance that it’s not financially viable for them to do all of the above for a £5k debt.

Peter Ramos

11th February 2022

1 upvote

This page contains user-generated content and is provided for general informational use only. Unless otherwise indicated, answers are provided by non-qualified (NQ) lay members of the public. Please read our Terms for more information.

If you have feedback on this question please contact

Get legal help the hassle-free way

We have expert solicitors ready to resolve any type of legal issue in the UK.

Remove the uncertainty and hassle by letting our solicitors do the heavy lifting for you.

Get Legal Help

Takes less than 5 mins