Can a landlord make a tenant leave if they ask for repairs to be done? | LawHive - Solicitors & Lawyers Online
Can a landlord make a tenant leave if they ask for repairs to be done?
Hello, I have lived in a rented house for more then 10 years, it has subsidence that make huge cracks in the walls, the landlord used to get in a painter and decorator to fill and paint the cracks,this no longer happens. The cracks let in a breeze, the house is hard to heat , not a major problem. The big problems are the guttering at the front has been replaced by his friend, when the water / rain goes in it it all sits in there and runs towards the house, this may contribute towards the damp in my son's room, this hasn't been fixed. Also the chimney upstairs was letting in water, I had to move my son out of that room as it was coming in through the ceiling, his friend filled the chimney but it hasn't Fixed it. Also the porch leaks when it rains, this was also fixed before, there is a lot of black mould. The porch is next to the downstairs bedroom, when making my son's new bed I realised his room carpet is really damp and smells of mildew. There is now damp marks on other chimneys We have asked for repairs before bit they seems to be done by cowboy builder types Can he make us leave if we ask him to fix all this? Just worried as our neighbors have the same landlord, when they asked the landlord the landlord make comments like " I think this house is to small for you now, maybe you should find somewhere else", they are scared to ask for repairs to be done as it seems a little like blackmail. We haven't had this problem and have asked for repairs that have failed. But could he move us on if he didn't want to fix the house? Also he didn't request a deposit when we moved in here so if we did move on we would have no money for another deposit which is a worry. We have no savings. We are good tenants and have only paid our rent late once in the past 10+ years We don't want to move, but also don't want to live in a house that rains on the inside


15th April 2022

We don't have the answer to this one - yet!

If you have this question, why not ask one of our panel of trusted & vetted solicitors?

Ask a solicitor this question

This page contains user-generated content and is provided for general informational use only. Unless otherwise indicated, answers are provided by non-qualified (NQ) lay members of the public. Please read our Terms for more information.

If you have feedback on this question please contact

Get legal help the hassle-free way

We have expert solicitors ready to resolve any type of legal issue in the UK.

Remove the uncertainty and hassle by letting our solicitors do the heavy lifting for you.

Get Legal Help

Takes less than 5 mins