Can the family of a deceased person enter their property to look for a will? | Lawhive - Solicitors & Lawyers Online
Can the family of a deceased person enter their property to look for a will?
I’m looking for some advice. A very close family friend passed away last Sunday and myself and my mother have been the only people who he had for 20+ years. We located a next of kin in which she said she wants nothing to do with it and blocked me. We want to lay him to rest but we are not comfortable in dealing with the financial side of things and we are unsure if he was a will or a funeral plan as it was never a conversation we thought we would have to have with him. We are getting a lot of pressure from the funeral directors to arrange his funeral but we have had a little legal advice that we can’t enter his property with out an official person to get the ball rolling and to find documents as we are getting calls from registry office to collect his death certificate but we can’t do so with out his identification documents. My questions are: Can we enter the property to try and locate a will? Who would be classed an official person? Will we be liable for anything should we have to arrange his funeral? Would it be worth reaching out to the next of kin again to try and get her permission so we can deal with the funeral? Any advice would be helpful, thankyou 🙂


15th April 2022

Top Answer
NQ - (used to work in solicitors) ring round local solicitors to see if they hold a will

Sandy Herrara

15th April 2022

NQ - See a solicitor and get his/her advice and also get the solicitor to write to the estranged next-of-kin female.

Michele Figgs

15th April 2022

NQ Former funeral director and currently support people who are struggling with funeral costs. You could consider contacting the local authority where they died, they have a legal duty to make funeral arrangements where there is no-one willing or able to make funeral arrangements. They will also contact any family, and look into any existing provisions I.e. funeral plan and will.

Roberto Cobb

15th April 2022

This page contains user-generated content and is provided for general informational use only. Unless otherwise indicated, answers are provided by non-qualified (NQ) lay members of the public. Please read our Terms for more information.

If you have feedback on this question please contact

Get legal help the hassle-free way

We have expert solicitors ready to resolve any type of legal issue in the UK.

Remove the uncertainty and hassle by letting our solicitors do the heavy lifting for you.

Get Legal Help

Takes less than 5 mins