Can you report your ex husband to any authority for threatening to take you to court if you don't cancel child maintenance? | Lawhive - Solicitors & Lawyers Online
Can you report your ex husband to any authority for threatening to take you to court if you don't cancel child maintenance?
My ex husband has told me to cancel child maintenance (through child maintenance service) otherwise he will take me to court. I have the child for the majority of the time, however the original childcare arrangements between us was 50-50%. For which authority can I report him? This wasnt the first time he has threatened me with this


22nd April 2022

1 upvote

Top Answer
NQ - child maintenance and contact are totally separate things. If he’s taking you to court so he doesn’t have to support the child, he’ll get laughed out of court. Don’t give in to his threats - he has a legal obligation to pay you - even if it’s not much. Why isn’t he having the child 50/50? If it’s his choice and the child is available that is one thing and unfortunately you can’t make a parent ‘parent’. If you are withholding the child from contact because he’s not paying support, the judge will take a very dim view. I

Steve Josephs

22nd April 2022

Nq, if you message him and clearly state that you only accept contact with him in regards to child access etc but you will not tolerate threats or messages about CM, if he ignores this request more than 3 times in a row without any response from you, you can report him to the police for harassment. It’s a very long process but every time you report him of this it eventually builds up a case that you can take to court. Or a quicker route is to stop all contact with him altogether by blocking him on everything and going through a contact centre to drop your child off and collect without having to see or speak directly to him.

Marcus Short

22nd April 2022

1 upvote

NQ- ignore his threat. If if wants to take you to court, let him. If child maintenance have accurate information regarding how many nights the child spends with him, leave it as it is. If not, update them.

Jeremiah Johnston

23rd April 2022

1 upvote

This page contains user-generated content and is provided for general informational use only. Unless otherwise indicated, answers are provided by non-qualified (NQ) lay members of the public. Please read our Terms for more information.

If you have feedback on this question please contact

Get legal help the hassle-free way

We have expert solicitors ready to resolve any type of legal issue in the UK.

Remove the uncertainty and hassle by letting our solicitors do the heavy lifting for you.

Get Legal Help

Takes less than 5 mins