Do I have to pay a second fee if the other person counterclaims? | Lawhive - Solicitors & Lawyers Online
Do I have to pay a second fee if the other person counterclaims?
Thanks for accepting. I have a small claims case that I opened due to a non paying customer for £180. I altered a dress, she paid for some work but refused to pay for the last chunk I done, she claimed it smelt and had to have it dry cleaned, it didn't smell: guaranteed. She asked if she could bank transfer so I agreed and then she didn't despite having the dress back with the work agreed done. Anyway ff she has counter claimed for £100 dry cleaning and £150 in stress due to having to transport her ball gown dress to the dry cleaners. I have a form to fill out now with a questionnaire and a defense section. It's asking me about paying more money but I already paid £35 online when I began my claim which the Web said would be all I paid unless it went to court and then it's £27. Do I have to pay again because she's counterclaiming? Also in my defense write up, I've already done this once when I had to start the claim process, am I responding to her claim details now? Or repeating what I've already submitted to start the process. I could completely pull her counterclaim apart but I'm not sure if that's my job here now or not? Prior to starting the claim I also offered as a gesture of goodwill and not admitting any liability £30 off her bill towards the dry cleaning despite knowing for absolutely sure it did not smell when I left it with her after she'd tried it on. Also any other advice to me in this situation would be greatly received I have a few days to send back and I'm claiming because I need the money not because I'm a cow and therefore I can't keep paying money out for this. She already trying to claim more from me than she owes me. Thanks x

Tracey Allen

18th March 2022

We don't have the answer to this one - yet!

If you have this question, why not ask one of our panel of trusted & vetted solicitors?

Ask a solicitor this question

This page contains user-generated content and is provided for general informational use only. Unless otherwise indicated, answers are provided by non-qualified (NQ) lay members of the public. Please read our Terms for more information.

If you have feedback on this question please contact

Get legal help the hassle-free way

We have expert solicitors ready to resolve any type of legal issue in the UK.

Remove the uncertainty and hassle by letting our solicitors do the heavy lifting for you.

Get Legal Help

Takes less than 5 mins