Do landlords in England have to give more than 5 days notice for a rent increase? | LawHive - Solicitors & Lawyers Online
Do landlords in England have to give more than 5 days notice for a rent increase?
I currently rent a house on a 6 month assured short hold tenancy agreement. At the end of each 6 month period I sign a new agreement and have been living in the property for 2 years now. Usually about a month before the agreement ends the landlord sends over the same contract as before with new dates. However this time the landlord has decided to increase the rent by approximately 15%. We were informed about this 5 days before our previous contract ran out. I queried this with the landlord and they stated that because it was a new contract they did not have to give any notice and the rent increase is legal. Do we have any grounds for complaint here? We have not yet signed the new contract. I thought if the landlord wanted to increase the rent they had to give more notice than 5 days. Any advice would be appreciated Renting in England

Ariel Wallace

20th October 2021

1 upvote

Top Answer
NAL but Homelessness Support Coordinator - So they have to give you a min of a month to raise the rent in this scenario - and do bare in mind you can reject it by not signing the new agreement and continuing to pay the old amount but this does come with the risk that the Landlord will raise a S21 against you and give you two months notice. My advise would be to explain that a months notice is required ahead of signing the contract and try and negotiate by checking of its inline with local rents - so if the properties around you are less than what he's asking then barter down, if it's not pay the increase because you can't rent cheaper. But rent increases, even if it's going to come with a new contract must still come with a months notice.

Peter Garcia

11th February 2022

This page contains user-generated content and is provided for general informational use only. Unless otherwise indicated, answers are provided by non-qualified (NQ) lay members of the public. Please read our Terms for more information.

If you have feedback on this question please contact

Get legal help the hassle-free way

We have expert solicitors ready to resolve any type of legal issue in the UK.

Remove the uncertainty and hassle by letting our solicitors do the heavy lifting for you.

Get Legal Help

Takes less than 5 mins