Is there anything that can be done about a loud car that is disturbing the peace in a cul-de-sac? | Lawhive - Solicitors & Lawyers Online
Is there anything that can be done about a loud car that is disturbing the peace in a cul-de-sac?
Any idea what, if anything, can be done about the extremely loud car that our neighbour has just purchased. For background, we live in a tiny cul de sac of thirty bungalows, mainly with older people who have lived here for years. The neighbour moved in 6 years ago buying it cheap to do up, but stayed and turned it into a constant project. We’ve all had to mention about his loud radio disturbing the peace but largely we’ve coped with the noise and the limitation of packing spaces due to his three cars in the road. He goes off to work at 5.30am each morning in his van, slamming doors etc and typically waking me up. Again, I try to cope with it. Just for balance, I love cars. I would’ve loved an Abarth (noisy Fiat 500) but out of consideration for the street I chose something different, but still fast & fun. This morning we were blasted out of bed at 7.30 by the exhaust on this car, which is an original shape very modified Honda Civic Type R. Fab car, anywhere other than this street. My dog who is usually made of strong stuff had a panic attack which was repeated at 11am when he came home and went off again. Really don’t know what can be done.

Calvin Principe

23rd April 2022

1 upvote

Top Answer
NQ - contact your local authority or visit their website to make a noise nuisance report. You will probably be asked to keep a diary about the noise and how it affects you

Elizabeth Gribble

23rd April 2022



NQ... we are having the same issue not with a neighbour but with a certain car the same loud popping exhaust.. I spoke to police yesterday and was told phone 101... give details registration make colour and what times it goes of at if its a regular thing.. as I live near an retail park they can sit fir over an hour at 2 or 3 in the morning... so i would just keep phoning police .. Good luck

Sharlene Lewis

23rd April 2022

Nq - having been the person with a highly modified car, I had no issues leaving for work at 6am. The car was a 2L engine with a 2.5 inch stainless steel cat back exhaust which pleasantly roared when pushed and grumbled even on idle. I live on a terraced street and had no issues in the year I owned that car with noise complaints, even with neighbours up and down having kids and dogs. That's because I left the area on as little throttle as I could muster out of respect for my neighbours. However, if this guy is leaving with his foot flat to the floor then I get your pain. If talking to him doesn't work, then it could well be a police matter if he's driving in a way that creates too much noise, as they have power to intervene. Police love video evidence, so I'd advise catching him in the act numerous times if you can

Nancy Murphy

23rd April 2022

Nq new thing going to happen these hitec cameras will record sound and if it goes over certain decibels it will issue a fine

Elizabeth Hamilton

23rd April 2022

NQ his use of the noisy vehicle may constitute a s59 warning under the road traffic act if you're willing to report to police

Marie Johnson

23rd April 2022

NQ. Speak to your local police team. See if you have a community officer. They will check the car for you and speak to the neighbours. You really need to have some sort of recording to show them if you can or if one of your neighbours has a doorbell camera. They may send the local PCSO or community officer to speak to you

George Schwieger

23rd April 2022

NQ - the legal limit for a car during an IVA, which is a test for cars to be approved on an individual basis, is 99dB at 75% maximum revs. It's incredibly loud at that level. Modifying cars is not illegal and during and MOT is very much down to the tester to see whether they believe it is appropriate or not, but the only absolute limit I've seen from the DVSA is the 99dB limit for registering a car. If it's not over that limit, in my experience, it'll be hard to force the owner to do anything about it.

Kathryn Falls

24th April 2022

1 upvote

This page contains user-generated content and is provided for general informational use only. Unless otherwise indicated, answers are provided by non-qualified (NQ) lay members of the public. Please read our Terms for more information.

If you have feedback on this question please contact

Get legal help the hassle-free way

We have expert solicitors ready to resolve any type of legal issue in the UK.

Remove the uncertainty and hassle by letting our solicitors do the heavy lifting for you.

Get Legal Help

Takes less than 5 mins