What are the tenant's rights when the landlord won't fix a broken door? | LawHive - Solicitors & Lawyers Online
What are the tenant's rights when the landlord won't fix a broken door?
This is in England. I have an issue with my landlord and letting agency and I'm not quite sure how to proceed. About two weeks ago my wife was coming back from work and tried to open the front door of the house as usual but unfortunately the lock wouldn't move and it sounded like the whole mechanism collapsed. Thankfully I was at home on that day so I was able to let her in through the garden gate. We tried to open them from both sides using different keys but the lock just won't move. The problem is that one of us needs to be at home at all times to let each other in, the garden gate is impossible to lock from the outside and leaving it open would cause the wind to simply push and open the gate making it visible and granting access to the garden and sheds to anyone from outside - I can't have that risk. It's hard to live like that, we cannot leave the house at the same time. We are currently renting the house via letting agency and any request regarding the house (repairs, leaks etc.) are reported directly to them and in order to do any work they have to get the landlord consent. The issue is that I reported it immediately and as an urgent case but the letting agency cannot get a hang of the landlord and they refuse to do any work without consent. It's been over two weeks now, chasing the agency everyday... Thankfully my job allows me to work from home due to the circumstances but if it goes any longer my employment is going to be at risk! My wife is unable to work from home. Is there anything legally I can do to speed this process up? What are my rights in this situation? Is there anywhere I can go further with situation like this? ​ Any help will be greatly appreciated! ​ edit: made a typo on title, sorry I cannot edit it anymore :(

Catherine Stefani

19th October 2021


Top Answer
Personally, and this is NAL, I would inform the agency that you are going to appoint someone to fix or change the lock and ask them to invoice the agency. It is absolutely unacceptable to leave you without access to your property.

David Okie

11th February 2022


I’d highlight to agency that if the back room goes on fire you and your partner might fucking burn to death because the door isn’t fixed “Which is exactly why we’ve called a locksmith, given your inaction, and will be passing the bill along.”

Michael Watson

11th February 2022



I am fairly certain you’re allowed to change the locks yourself. I’ve seen advice before saying you’re allowed to change the locks, just put the old ones back when you move out. Not to mention It’s a fire and safety hazard at the moment. so I would probably get on with fixing it anyway and send them the bill explaining how long it’s been and the risk it poses.

Effie Owens

11th February 2022


Given this is a *colossal* fire risk I'd be reminding the letting agent of this, and their responsibilities given it's a managed property. Access to escape routes are a mandatory requirement, and your letting agency is putting themselves at risk by not fixing this as a matter of urgency.

Jerry Leach

11th February 2022


This page contains user-generated content and is provided for general informational use only. Unless otherwise indicated, answers are provided by non-qualified (NQ) lay members of the public. Please read our Terms for more information.

If you have feedback on this question please contact support@lawhive.co.uk

Get legal help the hassle-free way

We have expert solicitors ready to resolve any type of legal issue in the UK.

Remove the uncertainty and hassle by letting our solicitors do the heavy lifting for you.

Get Legal Help

Takes less than 5 mins