Will not having planning permission for home renovations be a problem when selling the house? | LawHive - Solicitors & Lawyers Online
Will not having planning permission for home renovations be a problem when selling the house?
Hi I moved in to my house almost 6 years ago and had a wall knocked down and a concrete lintel put it and also had a downstairs toilet fitted. I didn’t get planning permission for these as didn’t know I needed it. I am hoping to sell my house this year. Does anyone know if I should have got planning permission or if it will be a problem when I sell? Thanks

Paul Hussey

3rd April 2022

Top Answer
Conveyancer- Planning permission wouldn’t have been required but if it was a load bearing wall you would have needed building regulations approval and a completion certificate once the works were completed.

Mitzi Pinks

3rd April 2022

Surveyor: Ring up building control. Explain what changes you have made and do you need building control certificate. If you do they will pop round, if everything looks in order you pay for certificates and you all legitimate 👍

Jessica Dibenedetto

3rd April 2022

Architect. What you are referring to is building regs, unless your property is listed in which case you would need planning and listed building consent. As a rule of thumb, you can usually determine if a wall is load bearing by the way your joists span above. If they span onto it, you can usually assume it is load bearing. I wouldn’t advocate leaving it and letting it come up when you sell the property, it’s pretty irresponsible to take that approach and purchase an indemnity policy for something you may be able to easily resolve now. If you do find it needs building regs approval you can apply for a regularisation certificate for this. Something that you could probably easily resolve now is far better than letting it be a headache in future, if this should come up in a property sale it can cause buyers to lose confidence or walk away-even if you do offer to purchase an indemnity policy.

Brock Shapiro

3rd April 2022

This page contains user-generated content and is provided for general informational use only. Unless otherwise indicated, answers are provided by non-qualified (NQ) lay members of the public. Please read our Terms for more information.

If you have feedback on this question please contact support@lawhive.co.uk

Get legal help the hassle-free way

We have expert solicitors ready to resolve any type of legal issue in the UK.

Remove the uncertainty and hassle by letting our solicitors do the heavy lifting for you.

Get Legal Help

Takes less than 5 mins